All previous temporary local rules are rescinded.
The following temporary local rules are now in place (effective from 29th February 2024).
MOVEABLE OBSTRUCTIONS: All posts and ropes in the general area are defined as moveable obstructions.
WORM CASTINGS: When a player’s ball lies on a fairway where worm castings are evident the ball may be lifted, cleaned and replaced without penalty. The player MUST mark the spot before lifting the ball (Rule 14.1) and the ball MUST be replaced on its original spot (Rule 14.2).
IRRIGATION SPRINKLERS: Irrigation equipment such as sprinklers, and anything attached to them, are an Abnormal Course Condition (Immovable Obstruction) from which free relief is allowed under Rule 16.1. Relief is not allowed to be taken under Rule 15.2.
SOAKER HOSES: The soaker hose, and any ground within two club-lengths of the hose, is an Abnormal Course Condition from which free relief is available under Rule 16.1.
- OUT OF BOUNDS: Beyond the Club’s boundary fences.
- SANDY WASTE AREAS: All sandy waste areas including sandy areas adjacent East Course wetlands are part of the General Area.
- DROPPING ZONES: Dropping Zones may be available as an additional relief area. They are designated by either white-lined rectangles with “DZ” in the corner or blue stakes with “Dropping Zone” marked on them. In the case of blue stakes, the dropping zone is within one club-length radius of the stake. The stake is an Immovable Obstruction. When using a dropping zone, the ball must be dropped in the dropping zone and it must come to rest in the dropping zone.
- STAKED TREES AND SHRUBS: Trees and shrubs which are staked or guarded are No Play Zones and are Ground Under Repair (the stakes or guards are also GUR). Free relief MUST be taken under Rule 16.1f.
- FIXED SPRINKLER HEADS: All fixed sprinkler heads are Immovable Obstructions and free relief may be taken under Rule 16-1.
- IMMOVABLE OBSTRUCTION NEAR PUTTING GREEN: If a ball lies in the General Area, within two club-lengths of an Immovable Obstruction which is on, or within two club-lengths of, the Putting Green and intervenes on the line of play, free relief may be taken under Rule 16.1b.
- ARTIFICIALLY-SURFACED ROAD OR PATH: The artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths (including gravel paths) are Immovable Obstructions and free relief may be taken under Rule 16.1.
- GARDENS: The gardens adjacent to the 1st Tee West, Clubhouse and Professional Shop are No Play Zones and are Ground Under Repair. Free relief MUST be taken under Rule 16.1b.
- MAINTENANCE FACILITY – WEST COURSE: The whole of the area of the Maintenance Facility on the West Course, as defined by the permanent red line and red stakes with black tops, is a Red Penalty area and a No Play Zone. Relief with a penalty of one stroke must be taken under Rule 17.1d or by using the designated Dropping Zone for the hole being played.
- EXPOSED TREE ROOTS: On the fairway of the hole being played, exposed tree roots, or sanded areas where tree roots have been removed, are Ground Under Repair. Free relief may be taken under Rule 16-1b. Interference with the player’s stance is deemed not to be, in itself, interference under this rule.
- RED PENALTY AREAS: Provisional Ball – If there is doubt whether a ball is in or is lost in Red Penalty Areas on the East course, the player may play another ball provisionally under any of the applicable options in Rule 17-1d. If the original ball is found outside the Red Penalty Area, the player MUST continue play with it. If the original ball is found in the Red Penalty Area, the player may either play the original ball as it lies or continue with the ball played provisionally. If the original ball is not found or identified within the 3-minute search period, the player MUST continue play with the ball played provisionally.
- TURF NURSERIES: Turf nurseries are No Play Zones and are Ground Under Repair. Free relief MUST be taken under Rule 16.1b.
- SUSPENSION OF PLAY: Suspension for a dangerous situation will be signalled by one long siren blast and play must stop immediately. All other suspensions will be signalled by three consecutive siren blasts and players may complete the hole being played but must not begin play on another hole. In either case, resumption of play will be signalled by two short siren blasts. See Rule 5.7b. Penalty for breach of rule: Disqualification.
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULES: Unless otherwise noted, the penalty for a breach of a Local Rule is the General Penalty (Stroke Play – two strokes, Match Play – loss of hole).
Infrastructure on course
In the lead up to the LIV event, several items of infrastructure will be on course which includes TV towers, grandstands, and scoreboards.
These are temporary immovable obstructions (TIOs) and free relief is given for both physical and line-of-sight interference.
Each TIO will have a blue-stake Drop Zone associated with it.
- For line-of-sight interference, players may take free relief in the Drop Zone.
- For interference with stance, swing or lie of the ball players may take relief under Rule 16.1 OR use the Drop Zone. To take relief under Rule 16.1, players first determine the nearest point of complete relief and then drop the ball within a one club-length radius of that point, no nearer the hole.
A Drop Zone will be used on the 11th West for any balls that come to rest in the construction area.
We would like to ask golfers to please keep out of these areas which are construction sites and therefore an exclusion zone applies.
We thank members in advance for their cooperation.